Friday, November 09, 2007
The Arabs have a saying: "Do not marry seven types of women."
* 1) Al-Annaanah: The woman who wines, moans and complains and 'ties the band around her head' all the time; (i.e. complains of a headache or some illness but in reality she is not sick, rather she is reigning).
* 2) Al-Mannaanah: The woman who bestows favors, gifts, etc. upon her husband then [at that time or in the future] says: "I did such and such for you or on your behalf or because of you" etc.
* 3) Al-Hannaanah: The woman who years or craves for her former husband or children of the former husband.
* 4) Kay'atul-Qafaa: lit. has a branded mark on the nape of her neck (i.e. has a bad reputation or doubts about her).
* 5) Al-Haddaaqah: The woman who lit. casts her eyes at things (i.e. always looking at something to purchase, then desires it and requires her husband to buy it [no matter what]).
* 6) Al-Barraaqah: The woman who spends much of the day enhancing her face and beautifying it to such an extent that it will seem like it was manufactured!
* 7) Al-Shaddaaqah: The woman who talks excessively.
(2): Collected by Imaam Ahmad (2/251) and Imaam an-Nasaa'ee in the Book of Marriage #3231
(3): Collected by Imaam Aboo Daawood in the Book of Marriage #2050 and Imaam an-Nasaa'ee in the Book of Marriage # 3228
(4): Translator's note: al-Haafidh Ibn Hajar recorded this story in his book 'Al-Isaabah' under his biography and the muhaddith of our time, ash-Shaykh Muhammad Naasirud-deen al-Albaanee has deemed it authentic in his book 'Irwaa'ul Ghaleel' #2016.